Friday, September 24, 2010

You don't get any sick days when you're a mom.....

Jenn:

So earlier this week I went to go pick Gabriel up from school because he had a doctors appointment, while walking back to the car I rolled my ankle and fell to the ground. After the shock of the pain, getting Gabriel to pick Kat up,and picking myself up I hobbled to my car. I then preceded to take Gabriel to the doctor the whole way being extremely angry at my throbbing ankle and happy that I had driven my truck, not the car which is a stick shift! See I was angry because I simply do not have time to be sidelined! After rolling my ankle I still had to go to Gabriel's appointment, the grocery store, and a meeting. Really how am I supposed to elevate my foot as much as possible to prevent swelling when I barely have a chance to sit somedays!!! Well my foot feels better now but this experience has made me realize that I don't have time to be sick or injured! Kids can't take care of themselves and sometimes that really sucks. Also your house won't clean itself, dinner doesn't magically appear,and laundry doesn't do itself! Sometimes it is nice to be needed that much but when my foot hurts and i can't walk it would be nice if I had a time out card!

Jamie

A few weeks ago I came down with this horrible sinus infection which created these horrible headaches that were sensitive to light.  So needless to say I could barely do anything around the house let alone take care of the kids.  Luckily they were pretty well behaved which made it a little easier for me.  So one day after having this horrible head pounding for 6 days I called my husband to come home from work to help me with the kids which he refused.  At that point I thought to myself that it would be nice to have a nanny at times like this. Luckily the doctor was able to fix the problem, but I do have to say that when you are sick with small children  it's near impossible to function.  Looking back I should have enlisted the help of my friends and neighbors, which all the books tell you to do.  That in itself is really hard for me to do because I like to feel like I should be superwoman able to handle any situation thrown at me.  That is something that I really need to fix about myself and admit when I need help and to not feel incompetent for admitting that I can not do it all, all the time!

After rereading our posts I thought of the old saying "it takes a village to raise a child" . Well were is our village? Why is it that too many times we are alone to face our trials and test by ourselves, too afraid to admit trouble until the problem has been resolved? Maybe these questions shall be addressed in another blog as we have 4 fussy children ready for naps!

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand the whole point about feeling like if you ask people for help you are failing at the whole supermom thing. I think that is especially hard for us moms that stay at home because that is our job. When you add on cooking dinner every night, doing laundry, making sure your kids get to go outside, by the end of the day I am spent. This is an awesome blog and I will definitely be an avid reader, finally some real moms telling it like it is!!

    ReplyDelete